Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Politics and pizza

Spending hours in a newsroom is something I think I could get used to. Especially if pizza is served.

On election night, I spent a few hours in The Greeley Tribune’s newsroom, my first experience in a professional newsroom. When I arrived, the setting was just as I anticipated. The room is full of desks, each with a computer or two, some reference books and copies of The Tribune. The desks are clustered according to sections of the paper, and people are scattered about the different groups.

Shortly after arriving, the staff held a brief meeting to cover the assignments for the evening. Being election night, things were going to be busy. Pizza was delivered for all those involved as a little something extra for the long night ahead. During this meeting, I was reminded of the true purpose of a newspaper-- provide the information the readers need in the most effective way possible. We are no longer in the days of waiting until the morning paper is delivered to read the news. Now, with the Internet, breaking news is just a click away.

During the meeting, each staff member was delegated an online responsibility as well as a print one. Everyone was to monitor the election results, and update online stories accordingly. Additionally, stories had to be written for the paper going out tomorrow morning. This seemed a little stressful for me, but I think I would like it.

I am just amazed that despite the potential for chaos during such a busy night, stories are written, edited, placed into a layout and paired with graphics and photos all before the paper hits my driveway at the crack of dawn. Although the process seemed demanding at times, I think I would enjoy the atmosphere of a bustling newsroom on election night; it would be rewarding to know that I helped get the news out to readers both online and in print. Plus, there is pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment