Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Real World Reporting

Typically, journalism classes involve writing stories, doing some editing, designing layouts or learning about the history of the profession. Not this class. I never thought I would learn so much about local government in a journalism class. I also never thought I would be writing a blog about my experience or learning how to upload stories and graphics to a class Web site. Nor did I imagine I would be attending Greeley City Council meetings faithfully. However, I am very glad I did. This class has taught me so much about the real world of journalism. I learned how to attend a live event, take detailed notes, ask questions and interview those involved. Journalism is so much more than just sitting in a classroom listening to a lecture.

Today, news is online. Blogs are commonplace. Updating news to a Web site happens every hour. I would never have known how much I like posting my thoughts to a blog had I not taken this class. I also would not have discovered all that is involved in setting up a class Web site. Although all of these experiences have definitely made me a better journalist, they did not come easily. This class was very challenging; it was tough to schedule all the interviews, take the photos, attend the events and do it all before the deadline. However, this is the real world. The classroom setting is not the reality post-graduation. Before I took this class, if I had known all that it entailed, I probably would have shied away from it. But I am very glad I didn’t. It was good to get out of my comfort zone and see what this profession is really all about outside the classroom walls. I know that this class has helped me realize all that goes into being a successful journalist. And now I know that I am one step closer to being ready for the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment